What We Do

My photo
We are a non-profit organization that works with pastors, churches, schools, and the local hospital in Chiquimula, Guatemala. We host training seminars for pastors, leaders, and youth from rural areas and we help supply the congregations with Biblical materials to minister to their communities. We visit several public schools to share a Biblical story and play with the kids. We also pray in the local hospital and give out toys, toiletries, and Biblical materials. Ways to Be a Part of this Ministry: Come - We need pastors and leaders to come and teach these pastors and leaders here in Guatemala. Or you could bring a group to work in the churches or schools with construction or evangelism. Financially Support - If you would like to support this ministry, please visit our website at www.eyeswideopenministries.com to donate online or send your donation to: P.O.Box 245 Florence, Alabama 35631 Make your checks payable to Eyes Wide Open Ministries. All donations are tax-deductible. Pray - Please pray we will follow God's leading in all we do.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Simple Things

Hello. I had an interesting day two days ago in the village with Chayo. I went thinking we were going to build up some steps out of concrete for a ramp to get from the bottom classrooms to the top at the feeding center. But when I got there Chayo was planting banana trees b/c there was no sand to make the mix for the steps. So I jumped in and started helping Chayo planting banana trees. We were planting them in rows on the side of a mini cliff or a steep hill so the rain wouldn't take more of the soil off that steep hill. So that was difficult trying to swing a pick and use a shovel on the side of the hill. I fell several times and after every fall I would hear a very calm voice from Chayo saying, "Be careful Daniel." He would never look up or laugh, just say be careful. There is more grace and mercy here than back at home with my family b/c we always laughed when things liked that happened but I reckon as often as it happens here nothing would get done if we always stopped to laugh. But we had to cut a huge limb off a tree that was above the banana trees that we were planting so the banana trees could grow up tall and not be hindered by the other tree limb. Well Chayo throws a string around the limb and hands it to me and then goes and climbs the tree with his machete to cut the huge limb down. I think it took him as long as it would have took with a chain saw to cut the limb with his machete. It didn't fall on me if that is what you are anticipating to read! But after we got it down. Chayo and another teacher went on and on and on about how much money that limb would sell for in the village to be used for construction or support for something. They didn't stop talking about that limb for over an hour. A LIMB. The same thing I was thinking that is an annoyance for us and that we cut and throw in a pile and burn or put on the side of the road. They treasure this limb and use it Chayo said for a the Least TEN years. It's like they were touching and moving a monument. But it reminded me of how blessed we are here in Chiquimula that God always provides for his people whether through tree limbs or rain for the food or encouragement from your bother. I am always reminded of how much I complain and EXPECT from God when I work with the ministry and the people there. It is a blessing and a privilege to be here and I am encouraged all the time by being here. Even though at times all I can think about is going back home. I think there will always be those moments that come and cause me to feel that way. But when I keep my focus and open my eyes...then I can see and learn more and more about God and myself! Now I understand Paul when he says what a wretched man I am. But we ended up planting about 13 banana trees before lunch that day. Anyhow...Another funny site is watching the people that have never seen a escalator come to the newest thing here....the mall...and watch them attempt to go up and down it. I had to help a lady last night go down. I have actually seen them put one foot on it and start the splits as that one leg moves up with the moving step and the other foot stays on the floor! LOL Hilarious! Or they will get enough courage and just jump on the moving step but instead or maintaining their balance, they will start leaning backwards and the person behind will catch them or the person assisting them will pull them back straight. I have never seen one fall praise the Lord b/c they actually have guards posted there for...I imagine...assisting these people in ascending and descending without injuries. Good stuff. I know...A.D.D. But there you go!

Daniel

1 comment:

  1. WOW! What a different world! and yes, you would NEVER get anything done if Luke and Josiah were there to laugh at you! OR better yet, have Keith there and you three laughing at him getting hurt every 3 minutes! HA!

    ReplyDelete