What We Do

My photo
We are a non-profit organization that works with pastors, churches, schools, and the local hospital in Chiquimula, Guatemala. We host training seminars for pastors, leaders, and youth from rural areas and we help supply the congregations with Biblical materials to minister to their communities. We visit several public schools to share a Biblical story and play with the kids. We also pray in the local hospital and give out toys, toiletries, and Biblical materials. Ways to Be a Part of this Ministry: Come - We need pastors and leaders to come and teach these pastors and leaders here in Guatemala. Or you could bring a group to work in the churches or schools with construction or evangelism. Financially Support - If you would like to support this ministry, please visit our website at www.eyeswideopenministries.com to donate online or send your donation to: P.O.Box 245 Florence, Alabama 35631 Make your checks payable to Eyes Wide Open Ministries. All donations are tax-deductible. Pray - Please pray we will follow God's leading in all we do.

Sunday, July 25, 2010

A new old idea

Well today in church I was hit with a thought and reason from God about my life and my idea of what I need to do or the "work" that God has for us. I go to a church where there is ALWAYS something to do or something going on, maybe at the church or other events or house groups. There is always something going on and they STRONGLY encourage you to get involved with everything if you can. Sometimes it feels as if their encouragement leads to the feeling that if you are not involved with everything then you are not doing enough or seeking the Lord. Not everyone leaves you with this feeling but some do. And b/c of this I has developed an attitude of something kind of like...why do I need y'all to be in God's will or why do I have to go to your training to have a ministry here. I felt like...just leave me alone with the ministry that God has sent me to do b/c I am busy enough with it and don't have time for your everyday events and obligations. I know...strong feelings! But it was also...WRONG! My attitude. Today the Lord reminded me in church that it is not my life that was formed but a creation that was formed by God for him. I am here for him. The Bible always instructs us to seek first God and his ways...his desires...his direction. One verse that I am coming to love more and more is when Jesus instructed us before he was about to ascend to heaven in Matthew the last chapter the last section. He said, "Go and get your educations and be sure to go all the way to your universities and secure your job with benefits and get your houses and find your favorite church to attend and be a committed Sunday and Wednesday church goer and the rest of the time is your decision to occupy." WONDERFUL verse...huh?? HAHA Not What It Says! Today I was reminded that we are given the OPPORTUNITY to be connected to Christ and be involved with his ministry and kingdom of making disciples and teaching them to obey God's Word while living in this world (Matt. 28:19,20). The Christians, the followers of Christ, in the early church in Acts would meet together regularly and pray and encourage and praise God. They provided for each other and basked in the presence of God! The presence of God!!! B/c they were seeking him with all their heart and desire and giving to him so he could give to them in return. I am going to pray for that instruction to be my heart's desire. I don't have to have my houses and trucks and "things" first or for the most part and then what time and part of me that is left give to the ministry in my church or the ministry in Guatemala or whatever God puts in my path to conquer and gain for the glory of God!! I am way to caught up in myself. I was aggravated with my church making me feel bad that I wouldn't get up at 5 am to pray or go to an event at night or start a prayer ministry in the morning at the village! God has given us a whole 24 hours to relax and re-energize so we don't go insane. I have taken advantage of that 24 hours today and I feel sooo good!! I have been more calm today with my kids and been able to play with them without thinking I have to leave in 5 minute to go take care of something else. I have enjoyed being with my wife and relaxing! But I WANT to start living now with a Christ like heart and put first and seek first his kingdom and be involved with his work and be shown the very things of God!! Jesus says we are his friends if we obey him and he hides nothing from his friends. I am excited and pray for the strength and courage to go crazy for the Lord while I am here in Guatemala. God is good!! Well...there you go.


Daniel

3 comments:

  1. Very good one! and OUCH too!:) You know, you sounded just like Dad switching that verse around :) He does that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I was thinking about how wonderful you are getting on here and answering our blogs. And wouldnt it be wonderful and funny if Baker wrote his thoughts and events down everyday for every one else to get a glimpse into his mind!! HA That could sell and make money!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding???? You would never be able to read it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete