What We Do

My photo
We are a non-profit organization that works with pastors, churches, schools, and the local hospital in Chiquimula, Guatemala. We host training seminars for pastors, leaders, and youth from rural areas and we help supply the congregations with Biblical materials to minister to their communities. We visit several public schools to share a Biblical story and play with the kids. We also pray in the local hospital and give out toys, toiletries, and Biblical materials. Ways to Be a Part of this Ministry: Come - We need pastors and leaders to come and teach these pastors and leaders here in Guatemala. Or you could bring a group to work in the churches or schools with construction or evangelism. Financially Support - If you would like to support this ministry, please visit our website at www.eyeswideopenministries.com to donate online or send your donation to: P.O.Box 245 Florence, Alabama 35631 Make your checks payable to Eyes Wide Open Ministries. All donations are tax-deductible. Pray - Please pray we will follow God's leading in all we do.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

SPIDER!!!!!

Well I'm headed to the village this morning and had just left the house when Brandi calls me and sounds upset. She asked me if I am far off or could I come back. There was a tarantula in our extra room. It was under one of her bags that she hadn't used in a long time by our computer desk. I thought that it must be pretty big if she was calling me to come back and get it. So I go back and when I pull up to the house I can see these huge hairy legs coming out of our windows on all sides of the house! Ha Just kidding. But wow the size of that spider. It was against the wall kind of crawling up and still on the floor with his legs together but stretched out in front of him. I better it was ever bit of 4.5 or 5 inches long from his legs that were stretched out to his butt. I thought that I didn't want to try and step on him or he might carry me off! Just kidding. I thought about the amount of guts and goo in that body that would get everywhere so I got the bug spray. And when I sprayed it, it started climbing the wall trying to go back towards the back door. And dang! It like tripled in size when it spread its legs out to crawl!! It was bigger than my hand when I spread out my fingers. But it eventually died. And then I went to check the old bag that it was under!! I saw another huge spider inside that started to get on my hand and without looking I threw it straight towards Brandi and the kids screaming and Brandi screamed and threw Mary Kathleen in front of her and the bag hit Mary Kathleen. HAHAHA All of that was true except there was no spider inside the bag. I was only joking but Brandi did throw poor little Mary Kathleen!! LOL It was hilarious! I said well some great protector you are mom! HAHA And she said, "No. Mary Kathleen fell forward into the bag trying to get away!" LOL! But now I feel as if I need to search my whole house to see if there are more of the human size spiders in here! Nasty!!! Helps you sleep real good at night knowing there might be more!
Another thing happened today...not so funny though. Yesterday a woman in the village came to the clinic and showed Mme Jo a hard lump on her breast that was hurting her and growing. Mme Jo told me that it felt like it was breast cancer. She also had two lymphoid glands very swollen on the same side under her arm. So today we took her to a "community health center" for the people in that area and that doctor said the same thing. She needs to get exams done to know whether it is cancer or not to see if surgery will be necessary. And these people don't have a bit of money so we are waiting ourselves to see how much this will cost. But the cost is not our concern at all right now b/c this woman has TEN kids at home and the youngest is like 2 and a half years old. She is 39 years old. She is so scared and worried about the whole thing so PLEASE pray for this woman. Her name is Santo Vasquez. We are going to the lab tomorrow to get the test done and find out the result the next day I think. So she will be away from her family probably for the first time and will have a lot more days away if it is cancer so keep her and her family in your prayers! God is in control and Praise God that there is actually a lab here in town that can check and doctors here that can operate if needed!
But we are doing good and fighting for the people here and demolishing strongholds and efforts of the enemy! God is faithful and ALL POWERFUL!!! He amazes me every day with something new and proves himself faithful to the faithful. And God sure is changing lives physically with the work through Mme Jo!! If any of y'all know her and can encourage her do so b/c there have been several women that never say anything nice not stop talking about how blessed they are to have their nurse so close and providing medicine! Well...that's all for now. God bless!!

Daniel

5 comments:

  1. HAHA! That is hilarious! No, not really, I don't laugh when it comes to spiders, especially tarantulas!!!! I so can't make fun of Brandi because I probably would have done the same thing! HAHAHA! I will pray for the sweet lady and her family that you mentioned - please let us know about her appointment. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been trying to catch you all day on the computer too to wish you a Happy Birthday!!!!! Maybe they will wake you up at 5am to sing to you because I know that would make you feel so special! Hope you have a great Guatemalan birthday, gringo! (is that how you spell that?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Guys!! missing you all, Kori loved the spider story.. and I'm crying from the other.. we will definitely keep them in our prayers. Does jo have a facebook.. I'll be sure to send her a message..
    Love Holley, Jamie and Kori♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing that would have made the spider story better is if Brandi would have thrown the spider on you when you walked in the door. Seems like I remember having a tarantula thrown on me last time I was there. Love you guys! Stan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Stan! I forgot about that!! And the bat at Sarita's house and the scorpion at the village...you sure you want to come back here?lol hilarious!!

    ReplyDelete