What We Do

My photo
We are a non-profit organization that works with pastors, churches, schools, and the local hospital in Chiquimula, Guatemala. We host training seminars for pastors, leaders, and youth from rural areas and we help supply the congregations with Biblical materials to minister to their communities. We visit several public schools to share a Biblical story and play with the kids. We also pray in the local hospital and give out toys, toiletries, and Biblical materials. Ways to Be a Part of this Ministry: Come - We need pastors and leaders to come and teach these pastors and leaders here in Guatemala. Or you could bring a group to work in the churches or schools with construction or evangelism. Financially Support - If you would like to support this ministry, please visit our website at www.eyeswideopenministries.com to donate online or send your donation to: P.O.Box 245 Florence, Alabama 35631 Make your checks payable to Eyes Wide Open Ministries. All donations are tax-deductible. Pray - Please pray we will follow God's leading in all we do.

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Getting Old!

Well for the past two days I have been putting grout(?) on the ceramic tile floor in the clinic at the village AND let me tell you that I never realized how bad my body is getting and that I have changed since the good old football days or even college days when me and Luke use to mow for 12 hours and then I'd go work out for 2 hours. After the first day I hurt pretty bad in my lower back and knees from having to sit on my knees on the concrete ceramic floor and fill in the cracks with the grout. But I was making it and did not DARE say anything to my compassionate wife about being sore. But after the second day of working from 8 in the morning until 5 in the afternoon on that floor, I couldnt hardly move that night, but I still didnt say anything to my sensitive wife. I cant believe how my joints and muscles hurt after doing a little job like that! I know I am aging. I just keep thinking...if I am like this now....a young scrapping healthy youngster...lol....how will I feel when I get old. And then I pictured Bones!! HAha...When his knee use to lock up or his back not work. Then I got a little better picture of the future. But we sure did have fun playing the good old football when it was happening! Still wouldnt trade it for nothing! But praise the Lord the floor is done!
Went to another city here in Guatemala today to learn how they plant beans and tomato so we can teach the men in the village so thay can grow these and eat them and sell them. Lord willing it will be a success but please Pray b/c this will deffinately push them outside their norm and make them do things that they have never done and be more patient with their work than they have ever been. Brandi make a good point the other day about this...I said I wish we could get them to see that if they would just plant the corn and wait for the 30x more to grow instead of grinding it and making several tortillas then they wouldnt always be so hungry. But she said that when you give them the little bit of corn to plant they are ALREADY hungry and feel like they can't wait three or four months for it to produce more. SO pray that the Lord's will be done and the right thing will happen with this project. But the land at this place was beautiful. They grow bananas, corn, beans, tomato, and coffee up on this mountain. It was so pretty and well managed!
And mom, we are going to take the men from the village to the city on the 21st of Aug. to eat at Charlie's Pizza and serve communion to them. They are still very excited even though there was a change of the day. They keep talking about the food and how they can't wait to eat it. I know...and this just breaks my heart...that for MOST of the men, this will be their first time to ever eat or see anything like the food there b/c it is more than tortilla and beans. We also do birthday parties one Mon. every month for the men and Chayo told me that that party was the first party and the first cake he had ever had for a Birthday and he is 29 years old. WOW! They are doing very good. I had a wife and her two kids from one of the men come to the clinic yesterday for some medicine for her kids. She said that Benedicto, her husband, is so excited about the Bible study and told her for now on leave Mondays alone b/c he is going to study the Word and learn more those days at the ministry. He is one man that knows all the memory verses and does very good! I have really seen a change in his behavior and attitude. She said that he also teaches them about the lessons and the memory verses. Dont know if that is true but look what God is doing in the lives of some of the men in this village!! If I ever get depressed or discouraged I only have to think about those men and pray for them and I feel so much better. So praise God for them and God bless them! Well...there you go.

Daniel

2 comments:

  1. HA! Welcome to the "old side"!!! I'm older than you and I feel old too! You shouldn't feel old - you are young and so in shape! You know who I picture when I think of getting old - GRANNY!!! AHHHHH! My knees and legs feel so stiff and sore a lot and just from sitting on the floor with the girls or something. Oh, and this is a new one, I WAKE UP sore and stiff!!!!!! I never used to do that! Anyway...that is AWESOME what you guys are doing with the men's ministry. You know you are turning their worlds upside down! That's awesome!!!!!!!! The social worker side of me itches to be there when I read your blogs - minus the heat!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, don't act like this is new. Just February, you didn't even make it to the job cause you wimped out! HA HA! Man, just listening to all of your stories has got me missing Chiquimula so bad. It makes me want to jump on a plane and come down tomorrow. You guys keep on changing lives down there, because you are such an inspiration to so many back here in Alabama. Keep the faith and we will see you soon.

    ReplyDelete