What We Do

My photo
We are a non-profit organization that works with pastors, churches, schools, and the local hospital in Chiquimula, Guatemala. We host training seminars for pastors, leaders, and youth from rural areas and we help supply the congregations with Biblical materials to minister to their communities. We visit several public schools to share a Biblical story and play with the kids. We also pray in the local hospital and give out toys, toiletries, and Biblical materials. Ways to Be a Part of this Ministry: Come - We need pastors and leaders to come and teach these pastors and leaders here in Guatemala. Or you could bring a group to work in the churches or schools with construction or evangelism. Financially Support - If you would like to support this ministry, please visit our website at www.eyeswideopenministries.com to donate online or send your donation to: P.O.Box 245 Florence, Alabama 35631 Make your checks payable to Eyes Wide Open Ministries. All donations are tax-deductible. Pray - Please pray we will follow God's leading in all we do.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Got Gas?

Well hello there people. Hope everybody is doing good. We have been very very busy the past week with our ministry work and helping the others with the flood damage. It has been raining now for the past three days but it is not very hard rain so the water is not rising too much. Our friends did move out of their house and are now living BEHIND us in our Colonia. But I reckon thats good to go and won't be weird. Moving them into the house reminded me of the many times we had to move while I was growing up! Hate it! But their house is nice and safe. Important! Does it ever seem like things are moving very fast and you aren't ready for them? Nothing more...just a question. Soooo the other day I was working in the village. We were preparing a part of the ground for Luke's group coming next week. We had to pound the dirt down to make it hard and packed. And we are working in a third world village. So Chayo has this tree stump that has been cut so that there are circles of the stump that weigh a lot. He then makes handles, or poles really, to nail to the sides of the tree stump. We then have to pick up the tree stump by the poles and use it to pound the dirt down until it was good and hard. There were several times that they gave me CPR and revived me that day. It was so hard and HOT!!! All the teachers would ask me if I had took a bath in my clothes b/c I was so wet with sweat...I sweat just like my dad. But the funny thing was after we spent around 10 to 15 minutes making these man powered machines they were dying to try it out and see how it worked! CRAZY!! They thought it was neat they made them and they were working. Chayo, after watching for 30 minute, couldn't take it any more and left and came back with a bunch of cut wood and poles to make his own so he could join in the "FUN!" I told him that I would be happy to loan him my machine! But he wanted his own. They next day my shoulders were very sore. I didn't workout my shoulders this week on the weights...but with the tree stump crusher. They think it is crazy how much I sweat and many times they will work extra hard and fast to see if they can sweat like I do. But they never get there. Pretty funny. I could barely get my brothers to finish half their jobs while working construction together before I had to go and finish it for them and these guys try to out work you and think it is fun and neat to use thier machines and sweat like the gringo. Well....there you go.

Daniel

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! Such a different world and mindset - even though we seem to have more then they do, I think they actually are better off. Anyway, what is a Colonia? Are they living IN your house with you are behind your house in another house, I'm confused?
    I hated the moving too!!! You figured we woudl be used to it and not bat an eye since we had to do it alot and I've moved so many times with Keith too. I think we are going to be moving again :( I'm so sad but it's just a house - a piece of wood and dirt - that I don't need to cling to. I LOVE our house and our neighborhood and I so DON"T want to move with three little ones, but we are living in a house that we built with two incomes and no kiddos and now we have one income and three kiddos:) Funny how God does things in a way you never dreamed:) Anyway, I'm telling you all this since you mentioned moving. Maybe the Lord will open a way for us to stay here, but since our sweet Shelby-surprise came along, it has been BEYOND tight so it is really foolish to stay in a house you can't afford when there are plenty of other options that are just as good but CHEAPER:) I feel bad even remotely complaining about moving when you are talking about everyone losing their homes...I'm praying for all of you and I'm so excited that you, Luke, and Josiah get to hang out again together. So fun! I wish I could be there just to watch you three!!!!!

    ReplyDelete