What We Do

My photo
We are a non-profit organization that works with pastors, churches, schools, and the local hospital in Chiquimula, Guatemala. We host training seminars for pastors, leaders, and youth from rural areas and we help supply the congregations with Biblical materials to minister to their communities. We visit several public schools to share a Biblical story and play with the kids. We also pray in the local hospital and give out toys, toiletries, and Biblical materials. Ways to Be a Part of this Ministry: Come - We need pastors and leaders to come and teach these pastors and leaders here in Guatemala. Or you could bring a group to work in the churches or schools with construction or evangelism. Financially Support - If you would like to support this ministry, please visit our website at www.eyeswideopenministries.com to donate online or send your donation to: P.O.Box 245 Florence, Alabama 35631 Make your checks payable to Eyes Wide Open Ministries. All donations are tax-deductible. Pray - Please pray we will follow God's leading in all we do.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

God's Dress

I have been reading in Exodus about how God rescued the Israelites from slavery, led them THROUGH the sea, and gave them manna and quail from the sky and water from a rock in the desert. After God does all of this, He tells the people to remember what He has done. He asks them to not put yeast in their bread during Passover, He tells them to save a piece of the manna that He gave them, and He tells them to write down the things He has done for them on a scroll and talk about them so they won't forget. He says this because He knows that when we go through tough times, we start to doubt if God is out there and if He is going to help us. Right? We doubt the fact that God is ALWAYS faithful and that He loves us. So, I want to write something down that God did for me that I will always remember. God gave me a dress. (It is a lot prettier than it looks in the picture.)
One night, I was very over-whelmed, and I felt like I had no one that truly cared about me and that the weight of the world was on my shoulders and that I felt empty and that I always gave and never received...yeah, I was really over-whelmed! (Women, come on. Please tell me you have had these feelings before!) Anyway, Daniel and I had a fight too (about how I wanted the other side of the bed and he wouldn't give it to me and that before, he would have given me what I wanted because he loved me.) :) Ok, I was really bad! I'm sorry, and it is embarrassing to say these things, but I have to tell you to prove to you how much God loves us. Ok, so we are up until 3am because of my little break-down, and Daniel had to go to a Men's retreat the next morning...at 5am! (Wow, I feel so bad just writing this!) So, the kids and I were by ourselves that next day, and my Pastor's wife randomly calls me and tells me she wants to come by, and then she tells me that she has been thinking about me. She said that if she was ever out shopping and saw a dress that she liked, God would tell her, "That dress is for Brandi.", and that she couldn't buy another dress until she bought one for me! God had been telling her this for three days, and this specific day, right after I had my break-down, she calls me and tells me that God wants to give me a dress.
So, we went shopping, and she took me to several stores. She made me try on dresses until we found the perfect one. She told me that God is the owner of everything and He always wants to give to His children. That day, God opened my eyes to the fact that He loves me so much and that He knows how I feel and that He cares...constantly. Even if I act tacky...He loves me so much, and He wants to give me good things and fill me until I overflow.
There is one of my remembrances of when God did something EXTRA amazing in my life. You will probably see this dress on me for years and years to come! Daniel has made fun of me because I want to hang the dress in a plastic bag so nothing bad happens to "God's dress". ;)

4 comments:

  1. I love stories when you know God's hand was all over it! I can't wait to be in Guatemala (God-willing)! The prayer chain for your ministry and my trip is getting longer and longer as the day draws closer.

    -Sara McCutcheon-

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT!!! Isn't He so good??? I had a friend tell me one time that "HE is the sweetest in the dark times". That is so true even though the dark times really stink sometimes - but it just makes Him shine even brighter!! I can't imagine living where you guys live with little ones and doing what you are doing - I would have SEVERAL break-downs!! Heck, I've had break-downs here in the good, ole' USA!! Anyway, love you and we pray for you guys all the time!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I've been going back and reading all these things that you and Daniel have written, and this one made me tear up! It's so beautiful how God works in such perfect ways. Praise the Lord for God's dress! :)

    -MB

    ReplyDelete