What We Do

My photo
We are a non-profit organization that works with pastors, churches, schools, and the local hospital in Chiquimula, Guatemala. We host training seminars for pastors, leaders, and youth from rural areas and we help supply the congregations with Biblical materials to minister to their communities. We visit several public schools to share a Biblical story and play with the kids. We also pray in the local hospital and give out toys, toiletries, and Biblical materials. Ways to Be a Part of this Ministry: Come - We need pastors and leaders to come and teach these pastors and leaders here in Guatemala. Or you could bring a group to work in the churches or schools with construction or evangelism. Financially Support - If you would like to support this ministry, please visit our website at www.eyeswideopenministries.com to donate online or send your donation to: P.O.Box 245 Florence, Alabama 35631 Make your checks payable to Eyes Wide Open Ministries. All donations are tax-deductible. Pray - Please pray we will follow God's leading in all we do.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sweet Home Alabama :) - CULTURE SHOCK!

Well, we made it to Alabama, and we have gotten settled in to where we are staying. I have to admit, the culture-shock is hitting me hard...everything is a little overwhelming...and Daniel says he tries to feel overwhelmed, but it's just not working. :p Anyway, I wanted to right a little bit about the way I have been feeling just because Daniel is not home to make fun of me...
So, we get into the Atlanta airport on Tuesday around 12am Atlanta time, and first of all..everything is so stinking big! and loud! and there is a train inside! and everyone is speaking English! and Levi and Mary Kathleen are trying to put their fingers in the electric medal belt thing that spits out our luggage and spins it around to us! Then we get out in the freezing weather, into the van, onto the freeway in Atlanta, and all the cars are fast and Brother Bryan is driving and after stopping at a gas station to get my wonderful husband some State-side milk because he's been a year without it, we go to the huge hotel. Well, the kids wanted to sleep in their "Mae Mae's" and "Daddy Bone's" room, so I spent the first part of the night trying to convince myself that everything is ok...the kids are just in the next room...they are not still in Guatemala, and the last part of the night tossing and turning because the hotel bed felt like I was sleeping on a huge pillow...and yes, that may sound dreamy to some of you, but to me, after sleeping on a very stiff bed all year, I woke up hurting from head to toe. Then, we get up and get ready to head to good ole Alabama, and we stop for breakfast...and there are so many stinkin' choices, I start getting overwhelmed again and just want to hug my children...I don't know why. Anyway, we decide on a chicken place, and the biscuits were sent from heaven and the sweet tea was too...and it didn't even matter that the restaurant had a 71 health rating. :) (The truth...the score was hanging up next to the amazing sweet tea) Then we get back on the terrifying freeway and Brother Bryan is still driving :) and Mary Kathleen is just fussing about her car seat and Levi is hitting her for fussing so then we have to spank him and her...then they are both crying..but then an amazing thing happened. We stopped at a McDonald's and the woman working the drive through spoke Spanish, there were no cups for our coffee, and there were no lemons for Brother Bryan's sweet tea, so I just felt right at home for a split second. But then we got back on the road and I'm back to terrified again. We make it home 5 hours later, and we step into a wonderfully warm house and start unloading the bags. Then, we immediately go to my mom's house for dinner, then we get on the scary highway again and go to Killen for church and to see everyone on that side of the river, and then we go to Wal-Mart (at 10pm) to get more milk and some cereal...and let me tell you...I don't know what it is about Wal-Mart, but it scares me too right now. I'm sure I will get over this very soon because everything was so pretty in there, but I was very much happy to leave last night. Then I had to drive for the first time because Daniel drove another truck home, and his truck did not have a speedometer, so he wanted me to go first, but after following me going 45mph on the highway, he decided he would take his chances and go first. Ok, finally make it home, and Mary Kathleen decides she is now afraid of the dark and wouldn't go to sleep, but we did finally make it to sleep. Today started very very busy with unpacking and my bother coming over and telling me all the things he wanted to do and we had to do all of these things before 2pm because he then would have to go back home. Then we go to Rogersville because Mary Kathleen is now sick with congestion because of the weather change...and I have a break down and start scaring my mother....I hear that this is culture shock and that it will soon ware off, but I am now wide awake and it is almost midnight and I have no idea why I can't go to sleep...but maybe it will ware off soon and we will get back into a routine again. :)

1 comment:

  1. I just love reading these, lol... so glad your still writing even in the states. I can get a little blessing every few days. Happy you and your family made it home safely. =)

    ReplyDelete